Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Super Excited About the New M3D Micro+ at $299!!!

I've been telling you about the upcoming M3D Pro printer.  While they are still in ALPHA testing, I have one and it promises to be everything I had hoped it would be.

BUT!!!!~

While my attention was on the Pro, M3D made MAJOR upgrades to the Micro and quietly released it today through Sharper Image.  And, it still just $299!

M3D sold more than 50,000 Micro 3D printers.  And, this upgrade is destined to sell even more.

Here is a link to the MICRO+ FEATURES PAGE.

The major changes include self-leveling bed and an optional heated bed.  The other major change is the ability to speed up prints to about 2.5 times of the original Micro.  The temperature control is also more accurate!  The printer also includes a special "Micro Motion Chip" which provides "intelligent positioning feedback for precision."  Frankly, I have no clue as yet what this does.  But, it certainly sounds impressive.  :)

I'll nail that one down after I finish this article.  Whatever it is has GOT to be a good thing.

It still requires connection to the printer during the entire print job. But, I have not found that to be a show-stopper.  

 STRIKE THAT!!!  I just learned that it no longer has to be tethered to the computer during the entire print job!!  THAT'S HUGE!

I use my Micro all the time, preferring it over the Cubes due to the issues with filament quality and the Micro's ability to print flexible materials, nylon and carbon fiber.

The software can take any .STL, .OBJ or .ZIP (with an object in it).

The great thing about the cost of running a Micro is that you can use any filament you like.  And, the filaments directly from M3D ar anywhere from $13-$18.  The filament page is being updated as I write this so hey may be adding the new larger Pro reels which, of course, would be a bit more.

When I heard the Micro+ was now available through Sharper Image, I ordered 4 of them.  So, by this time next week, I should be able to give you a rundown about what I find, including a comparison with the first generation Micro.

In the meantime, I can tell you that I am super excited about the potential of the new Micro+ and the MicroPro in our work with at-risk young people.  They are destined to have a role in turning young lives around in a very positive way!

No comments:

Post a Comment